I watched this video of Kate Bingaman Burt’s talk on her design projects using a method called ‘Automated Directives’. The idea is that you make yourself a set of rules to give some direction to your creativity. You really MUST watch the video to see some great examples – I guarantee you’ll be inspired.
I’ve decided to start a project of my own, which is similar to Kate’s project that involved drawing all her purchases. The rules I have set for myself are:
- draw everyday objects I use at home – do several a week
- draw sketch in sketchpad with art liner pen
- import photo of sketch into Illustrator and trace using the Pen tool
- save as a vector file and as a transparent .png file for web
- upload to blog
- to get better and faster at drawing freehand
- to get better and faster at using the Illustrator pen tool
- to make drawing part of my day
- set up Illustrator to open automatically when turning on my computer
- bought a sketchbook and artliner pen specifically for the purpose
- collected a few things to draw so they are ready when I am
You can find the growing collection of everyday object line drawings on the Drawings page of this blog.